Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Proposal- Andrew's Story Part 2

If you haven't read part one yet CLICK HERE. His version was longer than I expected so I needed to break it up into two parts.

Here's the rest of the story :)

...My only other concern was making sure to not let her see it coming. We came up with the idea of a diversion. I told Audrey the night before to keep her Saturday afternoon and evening clear as I had a fun date planned. It wasn’t really anything out of the ordinary as I had done this sort of thing before. Just before 2pm, I went to her house to pick her up. We went out to the car and I blindfolded her. Again, this didn’t give it away because she had blindfolded me for my birthday. We went to Seven Peaks and ice skated with Amy for two hours. If she had thought anything was going to happen, which she didn’t at that point we were hanging out at the ice rink and skating.

After when we were done skating and returning the skates, Amy was like – well I guess I’ll head home. Looking back, Audrey says that seemed a little odd the way she said it and wondered if something was up, but she didn’t pay it any notice. We went out to the car and I told her to put the blindfold back on. Audrey said, “Are you serious?” I said, yep put it on.

We had been talking about wedding color options a lot that week and had said we could go over to Lowe’s to look at paint swatches. So I took her blindfolded to Lowe’s. This time, I wouldn’t let her take off the blindfold until we were nearly inside the store. She was dying wearing it out in front of everyone while we walked through the parking lot. She couldn’t figure out where we were at until she took the blindfold off and then she hit me and said she should have known since we had talked about going there.

At this point, I was just stalling time. I needed to wait until it was dark so the temple would be lit up and my family with Jason and Sarah would be in position ready at Nancy’s house. We wandered around Lowe’s looking for the paint section wasting more time. Once we found it, I made sure to take my time looking through all of the different colors and doing a lot of comparisons. After a bit Audrey was done looking at them and we were looking at spray paints that we could use on frames. After that, it was about time to go. We went out to the car and I made her put the blindfold back on again. She couldn’t believe it, a third time? I asked her if she was hungry and if she was ready to eat. She said sure.

Everything was going perfectly according to plan. Even the weather was cooperating. It was a rainy day and was raining, but it stopped just long enough for the proposal to happen. I needed to throw her off on where we were driving so I took a down and around back way to Nancy’s house. She thought we were at the mall. I pulled in front of Nancy’s house as if I were pulling into a parking spot. I told Audrey that she could not take the blindfold off. She was keeping her eyes shut underneath as well to make sure she wouldn’t see anything.

This time, we had to get out of the car and walk through the backyard before I wanted her taking the blindfold off. This was why I had her almost walk into Lowe’s with it on so she wouldn’t be suspicious. I switched jackets that I was wearing, to get my jacket from the trunk that had the ring in the pocket. Then I helped her out of the car and put her coat on. Then as we did that, the blindfold came off! That just about ruined it. It was such a good thing that she had her eyes closed tight and she promised that she didn’t see anything. I hurried and put the blindfold back on and then started to lead her up the driveway.

She asked, where we were and why it was so quiet. She asked if people were staring at her. I said there are a few people around, but not too many. No one is looking at you. I said there are some people over there, but not by us. Afterwards, she says when I told her that she had the thought that maybe I was proposing because this could be a proposal setting and that those people were probably my family. But still, it couldn’t be because I wasn’t proposing until February. We got into the backyard and onto the grass. She asked if were at a park. I told her no, but we had to park a little ways away and had to walk to where we were eating. I led her down the rock pathway very carefully to the patio. It was all lit up with the flowers placed around in a circle with the temple lit up and no rain. It was perfect. I positioned her on the patio facing out to the temple as I quietly pulled the ring box out of my jacket pocket. Then I got down on one knee, held out the ring and told her she could finally take the blindfold off.

I said, “Audrey Clara Clifton, I love you. Will you mar….” and she smiled and said “YES” before I could even finish “ry me?”. I stood up and we hugged and kissed. Then I took the ring and went to put it on the hand she was kind of holding out. Turns out though, wrong hand. We got it right and put the ring on her left ring finger. We hugged and kissed again and looked up the pathway to see my dad crouched down taking pictures. Then he left us alone and we stood there hugging and looking out at the temple.

She was surprised by it all and didn’t really think it was happening until we were almost in place. It was a perfect night. We went back up to the house where everyone was waiting. Then we went back down to the patio to take some pictures. I texted and called her parents with the address so they could come over and participate in picture taking. It was pretty cold and everyone else went back inside except Jason, Audrey and I. We took some more pictures and then went into the house with everyone else. Nancy and Gifford showed up and we all sat inside the house talking for a little bit before helping Jason and his sister Sarah clean everything up.

Then I had really planned to take Audrey to dinner. So we ran to her house to drop the flowers off there and started calling a few family members to let them know we were engaged. I called my grandparents, my sister Jenna and my uncle Russ first. Then while at Audrey’s house, we decided we had better tell Linda first before any other friends since she set us up.

Audrey FaceTimed her on her phone. Linda answered and she was walking around the mall in California with her brother. We just started talking and then after a minute or two, Linda asked what we were doing as she looked away from the phone. While she wasn’t looking, Audrey held her hand and ring up in front of the camera. When Linda looked back, she saw the ring and was in disbelief. She was so shocked. It was hilarious. She started to get emotional and couldn’t speak she was so happy.

Afterwards, we went to dinner at Olive Garden and sat there texting all of our friends to let them know we were engaged and kept calling people for a while after dinner as well. We went back to her house and stopped by to show her grandma the ring. It all came off without a hitch. Audrey said yes as I expected her to and we were engaged! We are getting married June 4th in 2 months! I couldn’t be happier, I love her and can’t wait to marry her!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...